Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Halloween Is Creeping Through Our Homes



 This is the lantern lit up in the dark!
Hello everyone! It's time for a new challenge at Whimsical Wednesdays! This time the challenge is "Halloween In Creeping Through Our Homes" Create a Halloween or Fall home decor project. This week our prize sponsors are The Prairie Bird Boutique who is giving away a crinkle ribbon bundle and Mr. Cricut Crazy who has generously donated a stamp set of your choice.
For my projects I chose to do a lantern and jack-o-lantern pumpkins. I am sure you all have seen these pumpkins done before but I couldn't help making mine a little scary! Instead of leaving them plain I chose to add faces to them. I used the tutorial here for the basics but changed my sizing to 1X6 inch strips and inked all the edges with distress ink. For the faces, I folded a piece of black paper in half and cut out triangles for the eyes and nose. For the mouth I used a 3.5 inch circle and cut it in half and cut out the mouths trimming it down to a size that I liked. I attached them with tacky tape and rolled 1X6 inch strips of Kraft paper for the stems. I also added curled paper and Crinkle ribbon from Prairie Bird Boutique for the stems and leaves.
For the lantern I found a SUPER SIMPLE tutorial here. I cut it out of Kraft paper and distress inked it with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo ink.( I LOVE how this came out! It looks like metal and it does look SO much better in person. These pictures don't do these justice at all.) After it was all inked and put together I used a star punch to punch all the stars. I cut bands for the top and bottom and added a layer of Crinkle ribbon from Prairie Bird Boutique pleating it on the back side and then attaching it to the lantern. I used a scallop oval punch and punched out the Bat Brand badge from the Recollections Midnight Magic stack and attached it to the lantern. To complete the lantern I added a flameless candle inside and it looks so neat in a dark room shining through the stars!
As a special treat for you today we are also showcasing Mr Cricut Crazy's stamps! I have a card to show you that I did with Mr. Cricut Crazy's stamps! I used the Razzel set for my card.
I made the background paper by using a paw print stamp and Versa Color ink and white ink. The dog image I colored with colored pencils and stamped the sentiment. I hope you all will go check out Mr.Cricut Crazy's stamp line, especially if you're a dog lover. He has some very clever sentiments and cute dogs.
I hope you all will play along this week and don't forget to go over to Whimsical Wednesdays to see what the other amazing DT members have created for inspiration! I can't wait to see what you will create! Have a great day!
I am going to enter this into My Craft Spot's Monday Challenge which is 3D Halloween.

25 comments:

Kate said...

All I can say is Wow Gigi. Love the decor and your card is super cute.

Hugs,
Kate

joni said...

I LOVE your lantern and pumpkins...especially all lit up...they look so amazing!!! I love all the distressing too...looks fab!!! And how cute is that dog!!! Your coloring is perfect and the card itself is so super sweet!!! The sentiment is so cute too!!! Love it all!
hugs,
joni

Cathryn said...

Great projects Gigi! I love that lantern. Thanks for the link! Hugs, Cathryn :)

*Star said...

Fabulous home decor I especially love the lantern!! Also, your card is really beautiful! Tfs and have a great day. :)

Pat N. said...

Wow, great decorations. Your lantern rocks!--Pat N.

Diane Hodrick said...

have seen those paper pumpkins, but not with faces...I totally love them!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Your pumpkins and lantern turned out just way too cute... that lantern is awesome.. Love your card too. So creative.

Robin said...

Love the lantern an jack-o-lanterns. I remember making those when I was a kid. Ahhh those were the days lol. No bills, no stress! I think the puppy is a cutie patootie. Love it
(:(:Smiles::):)

Robin

Adrian said...

WOW, Super duper job! Love dog card also!!

Robin's Creative Cottage said...

Oh wow Gigi! This pumpkin and lantern set is total amazing, all the inking that you've done totally make them look vintage. I looked at the lantern pattern and can hardly believe it is the same pattern because you made it look so amazing!! Love it :)

Cindy Beland said...

Hi Gigi,Your lantern and pumpkins are just GORGEOUS and your card is sooo STINKIN' CUTE!I TOTALLY LOVE everything,AMAZING job my friend and have a SUPER day!!:)

Chloe and Her Clip On Koalas said...

Such a great job. Those pumkpins look like they want to talk and come alive they are just so gorgeous. The inking on them is perfect. The lantern is such a great idea. x

Sherrie K. said...

Gigi, this is such a FUN 3D project for Halloween!! Super festive and such a fun display of your creativity! I love it! The lantern is so very pretty lighted up:) TFS!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Glora said...

WOWZERS!!!!!!!! These are awesome. I've made those pumpkins before but didn't do inking or add faces. The faces & inking add so much! That lantern is so totally AWESOME! And your card turned out absolutely ADORABLE! Awesome job! Hugs- Glora

shelly said...

gigi this is spectacular, seriously! your card is really sweet too .
ok im off to copy your project thanks!!! have a great day :)

Unknown said...

Gigi, I have been so excited to see this and I have not been able to get to your blog till now. Every time I try to get here I get an error code!!!! OMG so frustrating. OKAY your project is so fabulous. I love the pumpkin and the laterns. When you sent me the sneak I could not even guess what you had created. The latern looks like you used suede..totally awesome! I LOVE the stars you added too. The pumpkins are so cute, but spooky too. Emily says ooooohhhhhhh scary. LOL. You went all out on this one girl! LOVE your little yappy card too, and I am sure Tanner will be so yappy with it too. Great inspiration for the challenge. HUGS!

Trail of Treasures said...

WOW Gigi!! These 3D projects are just the BEST!! Love them!! The pumpkins are super adorable! Love how the lantern lights up!! Great job as always Gigi!

Hugs,
Tracey

Melanie - The Paper Retreat said...

Gigi! I am in love with both of your projects! So fun and I love how the lantern looks all lit up. Beautiful projects! Melanie

Candy said...

Wow Gigi you have really outdone yourself!! These are amazing! That lantern is fantastic lit up. Great job. I might scraplift this one.
Thanks for joining us at My Craft Spot.
Candy
candyscraftcorner.blogspot.com

Cricut Couple said...

Wow! I don't even know what to say about how cool this is! Thanks for joining the challenge at My Craft Spot this week! Bobby

Karen H said...

Gigi, you are absolutely FABULOUS! These projects are incredible... though that doesn't seem to do them justice. :o) The pumpkins look so authentic and that lantern... well, I'm crazy about marvelous lantern! :o) Excellent work, my friend. And your card is precious! I love the paper you created and the dog is positively adorable. The twine bow is such a sweet touch. :o) Beautiful work, Gigi! :o)

Hugs and blessings!

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Like the lantern lit up. Creative paper ideas for the lantern & pumpkins.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com

Marlene said...

WoW! Love the pumpkins & lantern! Love how it looks all lit up at night!Thanks for playing with us at My Craft Spot.

Marlene
DT Member

rockpapercricut said...

The faces on the pumpkins are so adorable! The lantern lit up is beautiful too. The sentiment on your puppy card is just perfect. Thanks for entering your project in this week's challenge at My Craft Spot.

Ally

Sentimental Scrapper said...

Fantastic projects! I love your gorgeous pumpkins and lantern! Wow! Thanks for joining the fun at My Craft Spot!

Kimberly